Wednesday, January 12, 2011

In the Old Days they Use to

While trying to reduce the boxes in my Bedroom I came upon the one with lots of memories. There I found some of the old Christmas story books she use to read to us. Back in the 50's and 60's the magazines would print and illustrate a children Christmas story. My Mom would take the stories out of the Magazine and make a book out of the story using cardboard and cloth. When I had my children I started looking for these Christmas stories in the magazines and found a few and I collected them in a notebook with clear pages. Then somewhere in the late 70's they stopped putting these wonderful children oriented illustrated Christmas stories in the magazine. Now all you see in the magazines at Christmas is decorating ideas, recipes, weight loss hints, and commercials. The children are left out of Christmas in Magazine.

When I think of Chirstmas I first think of the reason for celebrating the holiday and that may be religious for some and others not so much. The second thing I think of is the children. Isn't that why we have toy drives and angel trees. When did the magazines decide that children were no long important to Christmas. I guess somewhere back in the late 70's the magazine's decided that advertising dollars were more important then children at Christmas time.

No comments:

Post a Comment